On Saturday, September 26th, Pope Francis will depart for Philadelphia from John F. Kennedy International Airport. Roughly an hour later, he will land at a private Atlantic Aviation hangar in Philadelphia International Airport.
Public access for Pope Francis’ arrival at the airport will be barred and there will be secret service personnel present. According to Examiner.com, prior to being taken to Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary, the pontiff will attend a private reception with city and state officials.
Philadelphia is the largest city in Pennsylvania and the fifth most-populated city in the United States, making it a suitable location for this year’s World Meeting of Families. The Pennsylvania Convention Center, located in the heart of Philadelphia and containing over 75 meeting rooms with 46,000 seats, will be the primary event facility for the World Meeting of Families.
Pope Francis Visits Philadelphia – Itinerary
Saturday, September 26, 2015
- 8:40 a.m Departure for Philadelphia from John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 9:30 a.m Arrival in Atlantic Aviation hangar at Philadelphia International Airport Philadelphia
- 10:30 a.m Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul
- 4:45 p.m Visit to Independence Mall
- 7:30 p.m Visit to Festival of Families at Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Prayer Vigil with World Meeting of Families
- 9:15 a.m Papal meeting with Bishops at St. Martin’s Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11 a.m Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4 p.m Papal Mass for World Meeting of Families
- 7 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families at Atlantic Aviation
- 8 p.m Departure for return to Rome
Sunday, September 27, 2015